As part of the proposed Seattle Energy Code update, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan recently announced new steps to further electrify buildings using clean energy. By updating its energy code, the City will eliminate the use of fossil fuels in new commercial and large multi-family construction for space and most water heating in order to cut down on the significant emissions contributed by the building sector. These actions come as new City data show building emissions have been steadily increasing in past years.
The proposed Seattle Energy Code update includes the following key changes for commercial and large multifamily buildings:
- Eliminates all gas and most electric resistance space heating systems
- Eliminates gas water heating in large multifamily buildings and hotels
- Improves building exteriors to improve energy efficiency and comfort
- Creates more opportunities for solar power
- Requires electrical infrastructure necessary for future conversion of any gas appliances in multifamily buildings
Read the full press release here.